Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"Sandy" Primer

Well crap. So I took a closer look at the guys I primed a few days ago and apparently they all have this "sandy" feeling quality to them. I'm not sure why this is...maybe the primer is no good anymore? Maybe it was too hot when it was drying? Whatever the reason, it's left a very rough primer coat on them. The primer also seems to flake off the models fairly easily if I run my finger over it...

I'm not really sure what I should do now...I'm worried that if I paint over it, it may not look as nice...and it might flake off. But then again, maybe if I paint over it, the acrylic paints will "fill in" and smooth out the sandy texture...then I could just seal it as normal...

Darn Arizona heat (if that's the culprit)!

EDIT:

So it seems that fortunately the mauler extreme and the Long Riders mostly escaped the "powdery" fate. Thank goodness for that. The Pygs seemed to have gotten the worst of it...and I can live with that. Borka and Keggy were mostly ok too...just some bad spots which I'll just hand prime over I suppose.

On a side note, the weather hear has been crazy. Today it rained...yep, rain, in the middle of the desert, while it was 87F outside. Go figure...

2 comments:

wamez said...

Don't know if this helps. I've had the same problem with GW primer before and blamed the primer. But this article suggests that there might be other powers at work.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2009/04/hobby-primer-on-primer.html

Da Troll said...

Huh, that's a really good article. Thanks!

I seem to have the dried powdery effect the author describes when it is too hot and the primer is slightly drying before it gets onto the mini. :(

"When it is too warm the paint dries on its way to the surface of the figure which will produce a powdery finish."