Wednesday, February 28, 2007

More boys is arrived ta join da crew!

So, UPS finally decided it was about time they delivered my starter box and also the Blitzer! I have to try really really really hard to resist the urge to start working on these guys instead of finishing the Mauler off. I've always had problems finishing off models, especially when I get new toys...I just want to start playing around with the new stuff. But I have to keep my eye on the prize...and that prize is a pissed off rampaging Mauler that's fully painted right now.

With that said, I've done some more work on the Mauler as time permitted.

As you can see from this pic, I cleaned up his stomach area a bit more, with some advice on blending from the Privateer forums (specifically Malveaux). It's still not as smooth as I'd like (dang perfectionism), but it's getting better, I think.

Also, I started and finished the top side of his right hand, and also started his right forearm and bicep. Additionaly, you can see in this pic, I added the base coat to a lot of his upper back, and though you can't see it here, his lower back is basecoated too. I'm really hoping to have the bulk of this bad boy done by the end of next week. I'd say the end of this week, except I have a ton of work to do by Monday for real-life stuff. Darn real life, always gettin in the way.

The last bit of work I did was to start his upper left arm and to finish off the bottom of his left hand, which turned out to be a HUGE pain.

For some reason I could not figure out how to highlight and shade his left hand. Everything I did seemed to come out looking horrible. Eventually, after about an hour and a half of work, I reached something passable and called it quits on that part. I don't have any pics of it, but suffice to say, it's not really picture worthy yet.

I should have probably stopped painting then too, but I forced myself to keep going on his upper arm. BIG MISTAKE. When you get the feeling you should stop or are tired, you should listen to your body.

I was so tired that I horribly messed up his upper arm, as can be seen in the picture...it's all blotchy, messy, and generally ugly looking. It's as if he's suffering from some horrible degenerative troll skin disease or trollish leprosy!

And the worst part was I couldn't really tell because I was so tired, I thought that it was coming out ok. But after stopping and taking a look later that night, and now later looking at these pics, I can see that it was a pretty shoddy job. As it is now, I may have to start over again on his upper left arm.

So I hope people can learn from my mistake, it's not worth it usually to keep going when you're tired. Take a break and come back to it later, else you might have to spend even more time fixing your mess-ups!

Anyway, I'm rested up now, and will try to do some more work on this guy later tonight for an hour or two. See you next time!

No comments: