Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Finished Trollblood Axer Photos

Here's my finished Axer. But as usual I've found several problems with him after examining the big photos. There's several places where the blending just isn't smooth enough. I've also decided that I don't really like how the axe came out.

Lastly, I don't really like how his bracers and his neck guard look. The bracers are not shaded enough and are too washed out while I think the neck guard transition from light to dark is too fast and so doesn't really look natural.

I've definitely learned a ton about painting NMM (non-metallic metal) from this guy. Honestly though, I don't think I'm going to be doing NMM on such a large scale anymore. It was just super time consuming, even frustrating at times. The end result I think is not bad for a first real attempt, but I think I could do an even better job with just regular metallics.











I will still probably do some NMM on models that don't really have a lot of metallic parts though...just not fully armored guys. (E.g. I'll be doing some NMM work on Grim Angus' gun barrel and nick-nacks).

The good thing about this whole process though is that I feel it will really help me to shade and highlight better and more naturally. Highlighting skin, leather, etc. all seems tons easier to do now that I've tried out NMM.

















2 comments:

Awesomeness said...

Oh my god! your painting is top-notch and excellent *****
And what colours did you use on the troll axer?. keep up the good work

Awesomeness said...

Oh my god! your painting is top-notch and excellent *****
And what colours did you use on the troll axer?. keep up the good work