Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Chief Madrak and his Champions take the field

Played my first game with Madrak and his Champions tonight against the same Amon list from last week. It was definitely very different from my normal Doomshaper beast-heavy army. I liked having a lot more models on the field and it was definitely easier to manage positioning on the board with so many extra models.

The Champions showed me how tough they could be, With Surefoot and Brothers-in-Arms, they were sitting comfortably at a nigh untouchable DEF 16, and with the KSB, ARM 19. Only one champion was felled all game. They were even able to bring down a Castigator heavy warjack, though it did take a few turns of melee. They also finished off a paladin and Amon on the last turn.

Madrak didn't do too much this game besides casting Surefoot. I might need to be a lot more aggressive with him next time - I'm just used to shielding my warlock from harm while playing Doomshaper, who is much more frail.

Some notable events: pretty much the worst rolling I've seen in a long time on Broken Zealot's side. I think his horrible rolls pretty much lost him the game. He couldn't do any damage, couldn't hit, and just didn't get along well with his dice. He might need to set a few ablaze as a warning to the other dice to get their act together.

One other interesting note: the Mauler charged in for the caster kill on the third to last turn, but just couldn't hit with the last two attacks to finish the job. The next turn he was utterly mangled by Amon. I still need to keep in mind that Warcasters are tougher than I think, and I really need to devote more resources to the caster kill before trying to pull it off.

I can't really say I had a worst performer this game, as every model (including the Fell Caller!) did his part. The best performer would probably be the Champions. They were able to dictate the pace of the battle, and presented a wall of troll that could not be broken through.

Hopefully, next time Broken Zealot's dice will be more accomodating, so we can have a closer game. While it wasn't as exciting as last week, I did enjoy having the unkillable champions. :) I'm definitely looking forward to using them more in the future, and the models are starting to grow on me more now. I've got one guy set up kind of like the jumping guy in 300 (the one who flew through the air to chop off the emissary's arm). I think it'll be pretty fun to have him painted.

No comments: