Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Pics of Impaler progress so far...about 90% done now!

Here are the pics of the Impaler to date. I've just got a few last things to paint tonight and then he'll be finished!

I really like how the Beige leather came out, and it adds a nice mellow tone to the guy. I think I'm going to be using this color for other parts of my warband too. I think it goes very well with the red-brown leather.

To paint this beige color I started with a base coat of Bleached Bone (took about 3-5 coats to cover up the black primer...grr). Then I washed with a *very* watered down wash of Snakebite leather to give it that yellowish-beige 'old' feel. Then I just highlighted with Bleached Bone again and then finally with Skull White on the very edges.

I did his eyes in yellow, like the Mauler.



I also started the leather (cloth?) wrappings on his spears. I've been using Bubonic Brown with a light Brown Ink Wash to get the recesses and then highlighting again with Bubonic Brown. Honestly though I'm not sure if I like how it so far. On the one hand, it matches his leather foot wraps, but on the other hand, it's coming out looking somewhat dirty. I'm not sure if this is because of the old paint, or just my technique.

Looking at these pictures I can also see that I need to do a better job with the studs on his leather pants (the beige part). They don't seem to be showing up very well..I may need to use a darker metallic color to get them to stand out from the beige.

So now all that remains is to finish up the leather wrappings on his spears, the spear wood, the gem on his belt, and touch up his facial skin. I think I'd like to make the highlights a little more prominent in some places as it does look somewhat flat at the moment. Oh, and his wrist wraps, I'm still undecided what color I'm going to make those...maybe beige also?

No comments: