Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Second attempt at NMM

Here's my second try at the NMM on the Impaler spears. I think it's coming out a lot better. I only did one side of the spears though and I still need to do the other side (the opposite side of what's pictured). I basically wet blended from Shadow Grey mixed with Black up to Skull White on the edges. I think it captures the reflective quality of metal better than they used to, and I tried to imitate the photo that I posted a few days back.

I also did a lot of the leather armor he's wearing. I really like the reddish brown leather colors as it contrasts fairly well with the troll skin. I used a Scorched Brown base coat, and then covered most of that with Terracotta (I'm not sure if GW makes this color anymore...it was part of my 20 year old Space Marine paint set).

Next came a wash of 50:50 Brown Ink and Water. I then highlighted the edges with a mix of Golden Yellow and Terracotta, I think around three parts Terracotta and one part Golden Yellow. Doing this adds a nice "worn edges" look to the leather.

I also did the armor plates he's wearing on his forearms. I did these in metallic paints before I had decided to give NMM another try. Even so, I think they came out looking pretty nice, but it doesn't quite fit stylistically with the NMM spear tips. I'm undecided if I should redo all these armor plates or just leave them.

I do like the rusty, dirty look so I may just leave it as is. At least for now...maybe after I finish all the other models I'll come back to it and decide then whether to redo them in NMM.

All that's left to do now is to finish off the last parts of his leather armor (top and bottom of his quiver, and his loincloth). Oh, and his little wine barrel. While it's taken me a long time to finish up this guy, I think he'll look pretty sharp when he's finally in full color. I only wish I had more free time to paint, but sadly real life has gotten really hectic with multiple exams, projects, and taxes needing to be done. I hope I'll have him finished by next Wednesday though!


No comments: