Monday, March 5, 2007

Dire Troll Mauler - Baby got back! Big update!

Ok, so I did a fair amount of work on the Dire Troll Mauler's back today and a bit on Sunday. It's about 40-50% done now. Just need to smooth up the blending (I think I'm getting faster and better at it now, yay!) and finish off the rest of the surfaces, like his lower back.

I'm really liking the super bright blue color over the more standard darker colors other people use. I think the neon blue will really make the army stand out from the crowd when it's on the table.









Here's another picture of his back with less lighting...you can also see that I did some work on the left arm, and also the right arm.

The right arm I think actually looks better than the left, at least the blending I think is smoother and more natural looking.

Plus, the dark recesses are darker and so I think it looks more crisp and sharp.

I have a feeling I may have some trouble with his lower back. I always have a tough time shading and highlighting large flat areas, as I'm just not sure exactly how I'm supposed to paint the lighting on them.




Oh, in this picture you can also see some of the work I did on his left leg. Here's a closeup of that leg, and a bit of his lower back. Oh, and a glorious shot of his plumber's crack. Hah!

I think the leg and foot came out ok. Just a bit of touch up work on his foot is all that's needed.

The blending technique I used for all these parts was a "wet" blending. Where I start with a watery coat of darker blue paint. In this case, I start with Enchanted Blue. Then, while that coat is still wet, I add a little bit of Space Wolf Grey to my palette, throw it over the part I just painted, and swirl it around a bit so that it mixes in a bit. I repeat this a few times, slowly adding more Space Wolf Grey color until it is completely grey/white. As I'm adding the color and swirling it around, I cover less and less area with each pass.

The result is pretty much what you see in these pics.



Lastly, here is the right arm. I think it looks pretty nice so far.

I'll be finishing off the Mauler this week, hopefully by Sunday since I have a break from real life for a few days.

Look for a completed Mauler then!

Also, I've started assembling the rest of my warband, so pics of them later this week also!

2 comments:

Mr Brightside said...

Looks good! Keep it up!

Da Troll said...

Thanks!

I can see the finish line for this guy now...only a bit more to go!