Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Fingernails and Toenails


Here is the pic of his fingernails. I tried to make them look really yellowed and nasty...like he'd been digging on the dirt with them and such for a very long time.

I think the effect came out pretty nicely...they look really grungy. Looks like I missed the inside of his thumbnail though as it doesn't look right...it needs more brown.

For the fingernails, I started with a base coat of Bleached Bone, then added a wash of Brown Ink. I then took very thinned down bleached bone, and using the fine detail brush, I added thin streaks of Bleached Bone over the brown washed fingernail. I made sure that you could still see the brown between the thin streaks of bleached bone.



And here are his toenails. I made them even more dirty looking since, well they are walking through mud and dirt day in, day out.

Same technique as before, except this time I didn't add any Bleached Bone over the wash and instead just did the "streaking" with a clean brush while the wash was still slightly wet.

Overall, I'm liking the effect. I definitely would not want to be the pedicurist that has to deal with those nails!

Tonight I'll be finishing up his spines and rock protrusions. I've given up on the "brown" rocks and will instead go with the grey highlighted rocks instead. I'm ready to "finish" this guy off and start on the next trollkin.

I put "finish" in quotes by the way because I really have a hard time calling a model finished. I will probably come back to this guy again after I've done the other models so that I can clean up all the tiny little details that I've either missed or messed up on.

No comments: