Thursday, March 15, 2007

Spines and Rocks and Paint! Oh My!

Yay, I really liked how his spines came out. Here's a super bright picture showing off the highlighting effects of the spines.

I went with a Black -> Red -> Orange blend. It's very J-pop like hah! But in all seriousness (well as serious as one can be talking about troll miniatures) I think I did pretty well getting a good transition, and it looks pretty sharp on the table. It's also slightly different from the standard red/black that a lot of folks do.

I started with Chaos Black, Painted about 2/3 of each spine with Scab Red. Did a second coat of Scab Red. Then I covered about half of each spine with Blood Red.



Next, I washed all of the spines with watered down Chaos Black.

And lastly I took about 1 part Golden Yellow, mixed with 2 parts Blood Red and highlighted the tips of the spines with that orangey-yellow color you see in the pics.

For the rocks, I'm still not so pleased with the results so far...I'm just not good at painting rocks...GRR!

I started with the Chaos Black basecoat, then highlighted with Shadow Grey, and then highlighted again with Ghostly Grey.





A lot of the rocks just don't look clean or realistic to me. I dunno...I just don't know what to do to make them look nicer. I'm going to ask on the forums and see if anyone has any tips. Blue Troll needs food badly! Err, rock painting lessons anyway.

In other news, I'm getting my first beatdown this Saturday at GameKastle against Broken Zealot's (have a link to his blog in the link section, check it out) Menoth. We'll be doing 350 points so it should be a good way for me to try and get the rules right.

I'm going to try and bring my camera along so I can take lots of pics and post up a battle report when I get back. Exciting times!

1 comment:

Scott said...

Looking great! Can't wait to see this guy in person at the LGS.